Saturday, November 19, 2005

Evangelista

We just got back from a walk along the harbour...it was an interesting time. We ate our packed lunch of bread, oranges, and granola bars on the sea wall. Then we meandered through the downtown area, buying some bananas and some cotton yarn for crocheting, and of course, some maní confitado (candied nuts) from a street vendor. I was approached by a gypsy woman with the offer of my fortune read. She looked as though her life had been very hard. The few teeth she had were brown and broken, and her clothing was ragged and dirty. I told her that I had God in my heart, and didn´t need my fortune read. She replied, "Oh, of course, everybody has God in their hearts.." and went on to say how things in this life and people in this life cause bad things to happen (evidently as proof that we need some extra help from magic). I then emphasized, "No...I have Jesus in my life." Her eyes sparked and she smiled, "Ah! Tú eres evangelista!" (Oh, you´re an evangelist!). I nodded. She then asked that I would pray for the healing of her daughter. I said I would and we shared a tight hug.
It just occured to me as I wrote this last paragraph that God may be trying to tell me something. Last night we had one of a series of meetings with Antonio Ulboa, an EMM worker down here for a week, with the church here in our home. Eduardo and Juanita and their two children arrived early as a meeting they were going to go to first was postponed. They showed up wet and eagerly accepted the invitation to have some food and hot drinks. While they ate I dried their jackets and the little girl´s clothes in the dryer. Much later, when our meeting was done and they were getting ready to head out in the rain to catch the ferry back to their island, Eduardo shook my hand, hugged me, and told me that "I had the heart of an evangelist". What? For serving some food and drying some clothes?
When I think of an evangelist, I can´t help but picture Benny Hinn, and that is an image I cringe at. I´d like your feedback, what is an evangelist? Is it someone so consumed with the conversions of others that it drives them to door knocking and street preaching? Or is it the by-product of living a life of transparency and service? What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Sarah, we are currently reading a book in Study group called "I love Mormons". The author talks about a guy who was a simple pastor but was a soccer coach (not like the ones in the world but a quiet and gentle one). The book goes on to say that through this man Scott many mormons were brought to the Son.
The Word speaks about the fact that we should live good lives so people may see our actions and glorify the Father on His return. The Son speaks to us and says we should be like salt. I think that means being like you two have been. Being people that purify the world...that have the heart of the Son and our different. So in every sense your ourtreach has probably been more active through actions rather than words....keep it up...let us be the closest thing people can see of The Son on this planet.

Blessings,
Chris "Your Future Brother-in-Law