Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Seven Years and Two and a Half Rascals Later

Yes, May 13, 2000 is actually starting to seem like a long time ago. And then not so much. I still remember all the odd details of the day. How the photographer always had an urgent nature about him, fiddling, mumbling incoherent things about lighting, meters, to himself. I recall the bonfire the night before, surrounded by good friends and high mountains, wondering obliquely if snow would show up tomorrow at the outdoor wedding. Playing cards like old times with old pals, trying to make the once ready conversations flow like they used to; wondering how a year apart could make us strangers to each other's lives. Last minute curling, peeping out the windows at the guests arriving, marveling at my uncle's suit which seemed to have stepped out from a 70's prom wear ad. Looking up at Dustin at the altar, into laughing eyes; can't we even take this seriously?? The symbolic hilarity of lighting a unity candle in the wind. Being ravenously hungry during the reception but too embarrassed to go through the buffet line twice. My dad and my roommate singing beautifully. Lots of goodbyes.
That would become a trend. We're on our fourth country together. The States, Canada, Costa Rica, and now Chile. We've left a bit of ourselves in each place, and miss deeply those whom we grew to love far and wide. And now...we're a growing family; as we speak my little Edison looks up at me and tries to climb me, yelling "Mama!" for all he's worth, looking up at me with big blue eyes from a face that's shedding its baby-roundness. Sophia runs in and out bearing drawings freshly rendered and trying to hide from me how much marker actually ended up on her hands. Baby #3 gives me kicks now and then, as if to remind me to give up trying to fit into my jeans and give it some space. Funny to think I've only been a mother for just shy of four years now. Was there ever actually a time that I didn't mentally re-design sippy cups for easier cleaning? Or when the messes around the house were actually caused by me? Or when Dustin and I could leave our home without the comical routine of shoe-finding, coat zipping, diaper bag-packing, face-scrubbing, and car seat wrangling? When I didn't each night give kisses to little sleeping children with a feeling of wonder in my heart? What a great seven years...thank you Dustin, I love you.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Paul said...

you forgot to mention that also Dustin from the pics above is clearly also parting with his hair... i am sure they too will be missed ;)


ps - i love you dustin

Paul said...

Congrats you two! :)

Anonymous said...

=sniff= 7 years for us too in just a month. We had so much fun out at your wedding but in a different way... We were engaged and livin it up at the place we met. And I am sure Brad will never forget his midnight waking of Dustin wearing... should I say it?... You guys were so cute:) And now you have 3 mini yous:) So fun!! How time goes.
Alicia<><

Sarah Gingrich said...

Ah, I'll love him when he's bald as a cue ball ; ). Besides, I'll probably be changing his diapers by that point and I doubt head hair will really be on my mind, har har har. Here's to marriage and love!

Paul said...

He is going to be in diapers in 2 years???

Sarah Gingrich said...

Oh come on, pessimist; God will probably strike your own scalp for all your teasing! Ha heeee heeee!

Paul said...

perhaps!!! :)

Anonymous said...

what beautiful pictures, Sarah!!
not many regrets about lifes big decisions, right?
I hope not.
If you guys had never come.... life wouldnt be as good as it is.

Anonymous said...

wow you sure have gone a long way in your still short life...

and who can tell what your future may hold?

they have some amzing hair growth products out here so dustin shouldnt hava ta worry bout a thing harhar
(just kidding!)
love you sarah!
and your pics are lovely

your rowing companiera