Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sea Lion Bonanza




To My Most Amiable Readers,


I just returned from a most eventful afternoon of rowing. We're in the middle of icy winter right now; a time when sea lions seem to prefer to congregate in large...herds(?). Anyways, on arriving at the boathouse the trainer actually gave us the option of not rowing as there were MANY sea lions in the canal. Deb, my fearless friend, gave in and stayed doing weights. Me and Gerardo headed out and oh, what a time we had.


They were everywhere. They came out of nowhere, their toothy maws, beady eyes, and steaming nostrils appearing suddenly just feet from my boat, making me laugh hysterically (many of you know this laugh). Some would show off a bit, rearing up in the water until just their feet?...er flippers?...were yet in the water, staring at me before diving at my boat while I screamed and laughed and tried to out distance them. They're so curious, and they love to pursue pregnant, panicky, laughing rowers apparently. One time about six of them cut between Gerardo and I, and he took off yelling, "Seeya! I'm out of here!" So, I had to row right through them, which they thought was great fun and chased me all the way back to the boathouse.


But I forgot to talk about the beauty! We row at sunset, so the colors are always changing. Both volcanoes were clear and completely snow-covered, looking like jagged teeth raking the blue and pink sky. This was mirrored on the placid water, disturbed only by the widening circles from my oars. Scenes like that, the sounds of the birds, the stillness...awesome. I feel so peaceful and at rest when I can pause in the midst of all that beauty and just soak it up.


Night had descended when Deb and I started the cold walk home. I bought empanadas to keep my hands warm : ). We have a work day at the rowing club on Saturday; please pray that our family could be a blessing and a witness to the others who are coming to help out.


Your Most Devoted, Sarah


3 comments:

Paul said...

Maybe you should settle down on rowing with sea lions while pregnant and all...sigh

Anonymous said...

fearless?? thats me all right!
hahahaa
anyway you were brave! and im glad nothing happened
that gerardo!!
hahaaaaa
(:
see you in rowing!
luv ya
byee
and thanks for your help on saturday that was quite the day!

Mike and Kara said...

Sarah, Your lesson for the day. A group of sea lions depends on their location. If they are in the water they are known as a "raft," on land they are a "colony." Glad to help.