Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happy Birthdays

This is always a fun, busy month for our family with Edison's birthday on the 19th and Sophia's on the 24th. We had a lot of fun preparing for their parties; we made decorations and the kids picked themes they liked: for Edison-a 'fishy' birthday, and for Sophia-a princess one. I became a first-time pinata maker, which actually worked out nicely. I really love spending time with the kids doing creative things; when they see me getting out craft supplies they always ask, "What are we going to make?".
Above are Sophia's birthday party guests: Edison, Javiera (a ballet friend), Jasmine (a neighbor), Sofia (another neighbor), and Vicki (along with her parents Voni and Gigi, friends of ours). We had Polynesian meatballs, mini pizzas, and french truffles : ).
Below is a picture from Edison's party. The fishy theme extended to the cuisine, including cajun tuna spread on bread and salmon and dill canapes. Oh, and gummy sharks and octopuses! We had Gigi, Coni, Cole, and Vicki over and enjoyed watching Edison play with his new doctor kit, tool set, and racecars!
Both kids are growing so much; I just love being their mom. We start homeschool September 2nd and I ask your prayers that I'd do a good job teaching them. We're using Sonlight Curriculum and I'm really impressed with the books. For each day there are also ideas of activities to do that correspond to what they're learning; field trips, art projects, even baking! I'm pretty excited and a bit nervous!
Peace!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

We just started school too. And like you I am nervous! Wyatt is really glad he is doing school at home because he doesn't want to be gone all day like our neighbors:)And it is nice that I can start Lily too even though she is just 4 but VERY ready.

highestform said...

WOW home school!! You guys are ambitious! I'm a "teacher" and that scares ME!!! Thank goodness we have an awesome school here in town, but if we were ever to move somewhere that didn't have a good school I suppose we would just have to give it a go! I'll be praying for you Sarah! I know you'll do a wonderful job though - the best qualifications for a teacher are curiosity and wonder at the world - That's YOU girl!

BTW, You've been TAGGED!

Sarah Gingrich said...

Thanks Jessica, I hope you're right! But, no, I'm not ambitious; given the choice I'd rather not homeschool...but it was either send the kids to the public schools which are horrific here, or send them to one of the private schools which cost out the whazoo and are huge status symbols. Sooo...we go forth : ). Alicia, Edison is starting too; he listens in on Sophia's lessons and has his own reading material; so far so good!