Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Walk

I walk into my heart.

There is the nest of chicks
with mouths peeled wide-
they feed on praise and they are
never satisfied.

There is the stumbling priest
who walks in small steps
hindered by thick ropes of fear
round about his ankles.

There is the young girl
spinning in her pink polka dot dress
twirling and asking
"Am I pretty?"

There is the box of masks
They used to be for
playing pretend,
now they are for hiding.

There is the weary woman,
Scrubbing at the dirty floor
weeping
and whispering
"I'll never make a difference"

There are the boxes of stories,
now and then some characters
escape and run
across paper
to make themselves real.

Shouldn't I see Jesus?
He
was
invited.
Others say they see Him here.

A tap on my leg and I see
identical twins
so very small
not even up to my knee.
I know them.

One trembles all over,
and on her dress
the Words of Life are written.
Upon her head
sits a crown precariously tipping
and written upon it: Obedience.

Her sister
so difficult to look at-
she was alight from
within.

I said,
"You are fear of the Lord,
and you are love for the Lord.
You are
smaller
than I thought you'd be."

"We grow and shrink as
we are fed and
starved", said they.

"Have you seen Jesus?
Does He come here?"

"This would all be dark
if He hadn't come.
Sometimes, the persons here
grow so large that He
doesn't fit.
Too He makes Himself
scarce
from
time to time".

"Why?"

"Of course that's to
your benefit"

"How so?
I don't like the
state of things
around here."

"Who would?"
they laughed
"He desires that you
know yourself-
that you feel the terrible
terrible
lack".

"Will He come then...
or appear then?
Will He fix things
around here?"

It seemed to me they'd grown a bit taller.
And smiling and watching
Someone else.

Walking to the nest of birds
He fed them
humility, which was bitter
then security, which was
sweet.

He went to the priest and
cut the rope that was
keeping him
down.
The priest jumped and
leaped
and exclaimed "God is!"

He went to the girl
spinning spinning
and stopped her
spinning with an embrace
He shouted with joy
"Daughter! You are mine and dearly loved!"

His eyes took in
the box of masks and
one
by
one
he tore them in half
telling each
"You are not Sarah".

He bent over the weary woman-
scrubbing scrubbing
working working
He whispered
and as her face
lit up
she exclaimed
"The joy of the Lord is my strength!"

He opened a box of stories
a wide smile in place
and plucked out some characters
set them upon paper
and blowing upon them, said
"Run!"
Off they shot over reams
of paper-
words
flying from their feet.

He did not seem to see me-
then of course
all this was me.

I asked Fear and Love
who now towered over me
"Can it stay this way?"

But they heard me not
because they were
dancing with Him
all
pulsing
with light.

My heart pounded
as their giant feet
hammered over the floor.
My heart pounded
I awoke
heart pounding.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

absolutely beautiful Sarah. I love your poet's heart. isn't it funny how so many people can tell us how much they enjoy us, love us and still...we struggle? are we really lovely, we wonder? I'm so glad you heard the true answer, HIS answer.

Sarah Gingrich said...

Thanks Colleen, it was an exercise in honesty all said. I was reading the Word and praying one day and it struck me...Do I really believe that God will/can change all that needs changed in my heart? Do I act like he will/can? Do I believe that he will root out selfishness, vanity, and despair and plant more of His goodness, light, and peace? Fear and Love are really the tangibles in my faith...I feel them to be the bridges to knowing Him; though I hope to know Him more intimately in friendship as He makes room in my heart.