Saturday, April 01, 2006

Of Joy and Mockery

To my most amiable readers;

Thank you for your prayers on our behalf as we live out our faith here in Chile. God is doing good works here. It certainly isn't our language proficiency, nor our education, nor our charisma that opens the doors to share about Him. He uses our openness to his "still small voice" to guide us into the right moment, the right words, the right time to make Him known. I am becoming more and more aware that God does His best work through us when we are unconcious of any work being done; when we, springing from His joy at work within us, smile and laugh, especially at ourselves.

At rowing yesterday, I was out in my boat rowing up and down the channel, still yet trying to grasp the finer points of good form, when alongside me came one of the younger boys. He was laughing at me. He made broad gestures as to how I was rowing "loco" (crazy). And here I thought I was finally becoming a more graceful rower! In a way I was crushed, in a way I was angry...how dare a ten year old make fun of me! But all I did was smile and laugh at myself, and then did what is so difficult to do...I asked for him to help me row better.

It was almost as though he did an about-face...he became very friendly, encouraging even as he rowed beside me giving me pointers. How dear! The mocker became the teacher and then the encourager. As we were docking he told me that I rowed beautifully! Ha!

I am aware of a steady work going on in the hearts of the youth at rowing. Not, certainly, due to me, but to Christ's presence working through me, indeed despite me. One girl, a very stand-offish proud girl let a comment slip that she wished she could be joyful and kind like me. Christ is doing His redemptive work. Please keep praying!

Your Devoted Sarah

1 comment:

Glenna said...

hey sarah...thats so awesome, ...seriously I got the warm and fuzzy feelings when I read this blog...take care my friend or else I'll be forced to throw your pillows out the window.