Tuesday, July 10, 2007

As Of Late...

To My Most Amiable Readers,
Greetings! A bug just crawled into my computer keyboard. I wonder which letter will deal the death blow to the little interloper. If it flies out at me I will make an odd outburst I like to call a scream-laugh. It happens whenever I'm startled, and basically sounds like a typical scream which shudders into cascading ripples of high-pitched laughter. It happens a lot during rowing when sea lions submerge and flare their nostrils at me. Also happens when moths get stuck in my hair....shudder. Anyways....
God has been at work! It has been our prayer that we would be able to impact our neighborhood for Christ; forming relationships in which we can share Christ's love and plan for mankind. This was not an easy task; unlike many Latin Americans, Chileans are a bit "colder" towards outsiders. Whereas in Costa Rica we said "good day" to everyone we passed on our street, here people tend to look away from you and avoid eye contact. Complicating matters further was the fact that I'd end up introducing myself not to my neighbors, but to their nannies and maids (not a bad thing, but I did wish to meet my neighbors too!). But God in His way, His timing, is bringing about relationships I never thought I'd have.
One evening, a few weeks ago, my neighbor Monica dropped by with a couple whom I didn't know and approached me about tutoring their children, and another couple's in English. They all attend school a block away from me and all live within five minutes. What a great opportunity! Every Wednesday I have three little boys in my home for an hour for English tutoring. They are six-seven years of age and are named: Juan Jose, Francisco, and Diego. God has given me supernatural patience and love for them (they are very squirmy pupils)! Francisco's mom also comes and I rejoice that she too is becoming a friend. The money I earn goes to childcare during the session and then towards buying a white board and easel that can be used in tutoring sessions. Please pray that God would give me ways to share about Him with my little charges and their parents.
Another neighborhood relationship that is forming is with another mom at the ballet school whose daughter is in Sophia's class. We sit in the changing room during their class and chat with the other moms and nannies, and I've found her to be a unique and lovely person. It turns out that she lives just a few blocks from me and volunteered to pick us up and drop us off for each class!!! This is a HUGE blessing from God! Our car is yet in the repair shop, so getting to Sophia's biweekly class means taking a bus for twenty minutes, then walking another ten with my two little children and big heavy belly! God even met a very special desire for me; she has a son Edison's age whose carseat is in the car vacant; so Edison travels in safety!! Yay for God's caring provision!!! Please pray that God would open the doors for conversation about Him in this new friendship.
As for my spiritual walk, God is calling me to a deeper life of faith. The expenses from our chronicly-broken vehicle shook me up a bit, and I think God is asking me why. Who or what am I trusting in if financial burdens can trouble my faith? I need to be looking for what He's teaching me rather than just stewing about the truck. One night while praying with Mike and Nancy, Mike told us that he had a vision. In it Dustin and I were in a boat on rough seas. He said that Jesus was inviting me to come to Him on the water; "Step out of the boat". Step out of my worries and illusions of control....step out to a life of radical faith. So, with His help and your prayers, that's what I'm trying to do. It's a little scary, but at least I feel spiritually alive!!
God is truly at work here in Chile. He's putting people in our paths and answering our prayers in the unexpected ways I'm learning to expect. He's teaching me to trust Him, He's teaching me what faith really means. He's also drawing Sophia to Himself...
Wednesday the 27th of June, Sophia came into the office/Edison's room where I was working on the computer. She pulled up a stool and sat beside me with an earnest look on her face. She said, "Mommy, I'm not sure that Jesus is in my heart". Woah. I stopped my work and turned to face her. I asked her, "Would you like to invite Jesus in your heart? Would you like to ask Him to forgive your sins?". She nodded. She prayed; "Jesus, please come into my heart and forgive my sins and thank you for creating all the children, amen". With that and a big hug she galloped off to play and I sat stunned and joyful. Praise God.
Your Most Devoted,
Sarah

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also rejoice with you and Dustin that God is working in the lives of the people in Puerto Montt. May you continue to hear His voice as you serve Him. Sophia is a very special, Child of God...Praise Him.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dustin and Sarah,

Had some time to read. Sounds like an interesting couple of months, but through it all you are praising God. That is awesome. Exciting news about staying on for another term and another little one coming. Sarah - I left this on your blog because I thought Dustin would not get it from his blog.

God's blessings on you.

Neil W.

Paul said...

take it easy Sarah...honestly a woman in your condition...slow down!

Anonymous said...

Well, I cannot leave a picking on comment after that story. BTW PRAISE the LORD!!!!!!!! And we will be praying for Sophia. Brad was a little pirate when he was little too. I left a comment to you comment on my blog:) Take care!
Alicia<><
Ps. Hard to slow down when you already have 2 huh?!

Sarah Gingrich said...

Paul, did I mention I'm training for a marathon? HARHARHAR

highestform said...

I'm so glad God's given you a glimpse into the reasons He's brought you to Chile, it must be very encouraging - your children have obviously learned from your faith walk - what a wonderful privilege to be part of that special moment with Sophia!