Saturday, February 18, 2006

From the Bottom of the Dogpile

To my most excellent readers;

I've seen dogpiles happen, I've even participated in a few, throwing myself atop a mass of giggling, jostling people, though I carefully avoided the "shoe in the face, knee in the gut, no way to breathe" positions of the lower layers. Well, as of yesterday I have been the laughing, breathless poor soul on the bottom of four or five dogpiles, which consisted of from ten to fifteen 9-12 year old children. You don't have to do anything special for cracked ribs, right?

Yesterday we went out to the Tenglo Island property where our house church is hosting a three-day camp for children from a children's home (not a true orphanage, the children return to their homes to sleep). The children's home circumstances are such that they are not cared for properly by their parents and so spend their days at the "Casa de Los Ninos".

Well, I'm not sure how it happened, but we developed a game, whereby I got a small headstart running, and they all chased me and tried to tackle me. Once they got me down, by tripping or full out tackles, they all jumped on top of me to my exclamations, "OOOoooff! Ha ha hah aha! OOOoooof! Ayudame!!! (help me) Ha ha ha haha hee! Oof! I can't breathe! (resorting to English in my panic) ha hahahah aha!".

It was good times. The kids got to pick blackberries all day and swim in the ocean, interspersed with Bible teaching and roughhousing the gringos. One of my high points of the day was combing out the long tangled-up hair of a small timid girl. She looked so bereft and I was overcome by a surge of "mothering". A longing filled my heart to somehow make her my daughter and take care of her forever. Maybe someday the Lord will lead us to adopt!

Thank you, fellow pilgrims (I just read Pilgrim's Progress and very much like the analogy),
Caio!

Your Devoted Sarah

1 comment:

Jen Gilbertson said...

Sarah Lenora . . . your blog is so precious. I feel so blessed that I can know what is happening in your life and ministry and the wonderful things that God is doing in your heart. In the last week, I've missed you guys. The Coulee Dam boys and a few others were at Popich's wedding and it just felt like you should have been there. But I know that you are exactly where you're supposed to be . ..