Thursday, February 02, 2006

Milk Jug Megaphone

To my faithful readers,

Today I accompanied Deborah and Jordan (our coworkers children) to their rowing practice due to my increasing interest in the sport after viewing them compete in the Nationals. The director allowed me to follow them with him in his motor-powered boat as they did drills and endurance training. Sea, wind, and sunshine...and Don Angel shouting through an open-ended milk jug. Don Angel...the characteristic sea-boat captain, old, weathered, felt hat in place, suspenders, and a touching burden for the youth of Puerto Montt.

Upon reaching the club house, a few of the kids taught me basic rowing form on the training machine. It's great because it shows the strength of your pull, the miles per hour, and the time. It's more complicated than I thought, timing the arms with the legs and the posture, and I'm not even in a boat yet! They encouraged me though, saying that I was a quick learner and had potential. Don Angel has invited me to join, and at five dollars a month (covering training, use of boats), I think that's a no-brainer. I hope I'll understand what he shouts at me through the milk jug!

Furthermore, it's been a blessing to get to know the kids on the rowing team. We chaperoned their camping trip last weekend, and it looks like we'll have many more opportunities to share our lives with them, and hopefully, Christ's love.

I've got a few prayer requests:
-childcare for when I am rowing
-that God would speak to Daniel (a dear friend who wants to know if God is real)
-that we would be a blessing

Your Devoted Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gingrichs!!
I just love reading your blog and appreciate the great pictures you post! So keep up the good work! I'll be praying for you, and I'm pretty sure that you are already a blessing to the folks that know you down there!!!!
Blessings, Cindy
ps- I'm going to have a BABY!!! :)