Tuesday, February 07, 2006

New-Found Delight

To my most amiable readers:

Some of you may recall the scene in "What About Bob" where Bill Murray has conquered his fear of sailing ("conquered" being roped to the mast and forced to sail). He belts out in a joyous voice "I sail now! I'm a sailor! I sail!!!!"

Well, friends, "I row now! I'm a rower! I row!!!"

Today I went out in a double boat with my instructor, at the ripe old age of fourteen, behind me coaching me as I rowed up the channel. It was awesome. I was cruising!!! "I row!!!" Er...you'll have to excuse my outbursts, I get a little over-excited about my new hobby.

Now there is much yet to master; like rowing in a straight line not willy-nilly all over the channel, rowing in rhythm with my partner rather than clobbering his oars with mine, avoiding bloodying up my hands by catching them on the other hand's nails while crossing them in front of me, not running into other boats, not getting my shirt gobbled up by my rolling seat, not rowing unevenly at different depths, and so on.

Funny thing is, beginner that I am, I possibly could compete in my age group at the Nationals this month. I'm not a huge fan of humiliation, but hey, who can say they've competed in a foreign rowing finals?? But no, I'll go and cheer on my friends and hopefully learn a thing or two.

It's so great getting to know the rowing kids and their families. With God's help I hope to be his ambassador there, showing the joy and love of Christ.

Your devoted Sarah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics, Sarah. I'm glad I took the time to read your blog. Thanks for sending the address to me with your last email. To be honest, this seems to be a very different side of you in a way. But, not different in a bad way. Anyway, it's good to see the pics. I like being able to see you and yours at home in your new country. It makes me all the more excited at the prospect of visiting. And the words you left after your one message...do I have to leave the people I love, AGAIN. We all felt the same way when you left...we have to let these people we love leave AGAIN. You are filling a calling...you have been so very blessed! We understand that...and we support you in it every step of the way. Take care, sister. Love, Shonda

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I've just spent some wonderful time this afternoon looking at your pics and reading all about your adventures.
It seems like a dream that you here & we had the privilege of meeting you.
It's exciting to hear how your lives are changing & how you are touching so many for Christ.
We love you & thank God for you
All Glory to His Name.
Bye for now.
Love,
Hope, Brian, Hannna & Josh