Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cleaning the World and Other News

To my Most Amiable Readers;

Sophia took the northern hemisphere, and I the southern. We met around the equator, hands covered in bubbles, sponges and brushes flying, giggling. The shower curtain in our apartment features a world map, and yesterday found us scrubbing it clean in a fit of giggles on the bathroom floor. I've found that curtain to be quite informative...I've started memorizing capitals, locations, and flags of countries...which probably means my showers are too lengthy.

In other news, my race on Saturday was quite the experience. Rising early we strapped the boats onto a makeshift rack on the back of a pick-up and made the beautiful drive to Valdivia, the mecca of rowing in Chile. Getting there we warmed up our muscles and took the boats out to get a feel for the river. Sea lions, BIG sea lions, were lying all over the shores! Apparently this is where they come when they're very old and ready to die. When it was time for my race, I took my place with five other rowers and assumed starting position.

At Go! I was right with the pack, getting a good quick, controlled start. But about 100 meters out, my sliding seat jumped its tracks, coming to a sickening stop. I raised my hand and called for the judge (they do a restart when a seat jumps in the first 100 meters) but he didn't hear me and didn't look my way in time. When he finally saw me, it was too late and I had to stand in my boat and fix my seat, by this time way behind. But I still had to finish so away I rowed...alone...in front of a big crowd...and a pep band.........smiling at myself. But I felt good about the day; at least my last place finish wasn't quite my fault, and I had a good time with the youth.

Your Devoted,
Sarah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess all those years playing "Row, row, row, your boat gently down the stream; merrily, merrily, merrily, life is such a dream" paid off. Love, mom

Paul said...

WHAT YOU DIDNT WIN...no borscht for YOU! Well i guess you were trained differently then I...