Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Of Wildness Born

"Ocean Park" by Stephen Pitt
Really, I don't know how to begin...so many thoughts pressing...

Have you ever been taken hold of by a yearning, so fierce and bright with pleasure...

....when you plunge into a cool lake at evening, to just go on swimming, needing no reprieve, like a fish to the depths?

.....when you leap off a rock to not follow earth's tug downward, but to defy it, flying up and out, faster, Faster!?

.....when seeing shady, ancient woods draped in moss to go romping wildly through them, more deer than man?

....to meet a wild beast not with terror, but camaraderie, walking together?

.....when listening to music, to dance with abandon, joyous, laughing, embracing Celebration?

.....when in prayer, to be lifted up in loving arms like a child delighting in his father's attention?

I'm unsure to what degree you may be able to relate to any of these...but at times they possess the whole of my mind. This wildness, this unbelievableness, this passion which I believe to be more familiar to our original nature than what we are now. The more I have come to hope and live for the world yet to come, the more frequent these pangs of longing come upon me. Is it an odd way to anticipate eternity? Perhaps, but I have good reason to believe that God engages our imagination to express things we have no vocabulary for.

I think we do Heaven a great injustice to imagine it a solemn choir meeting...

I think too we forget God too much...

These surely are weapons of the Enemy, driving us to love this life so tenaciously, to make possessions of such delight, to fret so over our jobs, our money, our education, our theology, our very beauty. In the process of this, becoming fattened, petted, pampered, unsatisfied, fearful creatures. Oh to break free! To play and laugh like children in His company!! What, oh Earth, can you offer that does not break or rot or die?

Surely some will think I've lost my head. Very good that you should know regardless what is always humming below the surface of your dear,
devoted,
Sarah

5 comments:

highestform said...

Surely such a post demands a comment.

The whole of God's mission - to save that which was lost - is to restore us to our true selves. As followers we have begun the journey to our real identities. I had one friend explain it to me like this: Death is like birth. Our time in the womb, it is real life. We are living but we are also in the process of becoming human. But the real story begins when we are born - not that the womb is not significant. In the womb we become; in birth we are.

Anonymous said...

I do understand what you mean to express. surely God gave us words to try to vocalize what we feel, though sometimes it seems that there is no way to do so and do justice to what we mean to share. you did a good job of it now.

I have had similar feelings, being aware, if only for a moment, that there is something so much greater than what we are experiencing, and having an all-encompassing desire to keep in that awareness. though when it fades, I go back to the thought that life is only here and now, forgeting the call we have to tell others that what is to come can be so much better, greater, and more powerful if only they would choose to believe.

I think I made a mess of what I'm trying to say, but perhaps you will understand.

Anonymous said...

ya, yeah, yes, dear girl! God has given you passion for life and that is what I always liked about you most. I have that passion in me, too, but it gets stifled so often, sometimes eternity-awareness flares inside me so bright I scream against my mortality and limit-full body.
But it is coming...
I've been reading a lot about current news and prophecy lately, and am convinced it's soon!! Maranatha our Lord Jesus!

Anonymous said...

wow sarah thats quite a post and i am glad i am not the only one who feels that was too sometimes! no you certainly havent lost your head and i am so glad you expressed that.
it makes me feel like i now know you a little better and i really like that!
do you really think we will actually witness the return of Jesus?
i mean be alive at that time.

who are the people in the above pic?

you did great at valdivia. dont worry the same thing [or something like it] has happened to all us rowers at least once and what made you a true winner was the way you responded to that unfortunate circumstance;you didnt let it affect your joy or good spirits!
now thats what i call really coming in first place and grabbing the gold.
congratulations sarah.
= D

Anonymous said...

My friend,

I too know what you are feeling and thinking...I too yearn to get lost in the energy and passion that only God can create. May God continue to show you His wonder beyond our imagination!

And I too want to celebrate with you as you finished that race. You are a true competitor!

Michelle