Saturday, May 06, 2006

Lions and Ferries and Boats...Oh My!


To my Most Amiable Readers;
If you weren't warned by the preceeding picture, I am yet again to speak of rowing. I've graduated to the "big kids" club; I now go out with the others to train further up the channel doing sets of 2000 meter loops. Previously I stayed near the club, and most of the time out of water traffic.
Quite a day to graduate...choppy seas and strong winds greeted me as I pulled towards the open water. If you've ever backed out of a tight parking lot, in an unfamiliar vehicle, in the fog, at night, with little children running around...you'll get the feeling I was experiencing. Forget good rowing form, the wind and waves kept trying to push me into anchored boats and buoys as I struggled to sweep by them before I was pushed into them. Not only that but I was constantly looking over my shoulder for ferries, yachts, or other vessels that can appear quite out of nowhere. And not flipping over was also high on the list.
Having crossed to a more peaceful stretch and focusing on legs-then-stomach-then-back-lastly-arms, I was greeted to a rather loud splash. Then quite a few more in ominous succession proceeding ever closer to my boat, the large furry form gliding just beneath the surface. Sea lions have a dogged curiousity. I think that was the fastest I've ever rowed. The adventures weren't over yet. A large navy vessel buzzed by us creating waves up to my head (which when sitting basically at level with the water is rather unnerving). Aligning my boat horizontally with them so as to not take on water I rode sideways up and over trying to maintain balance and not panic. It was fun...when it was over.
Continuing on I had one more encounter with the lion, a few cat-calls from a ferry, and called it a day. That was yesterday. This morning I was told that I'll be competing in a race this coming Saturday....
I've never raced, I've hardly even rowed quickly except when pursued by sea lions. I don't know starting position, I don't know a good 500 meter pace, I don't know "on your mark, get set, go" in Spanish.............so goes my panicky thoughts. I guess I have a week to learn.
I appreciate your prayers : ).
Your Devoted, Sarah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh sarah!!!
don't worry a bit about the race! you'll do just fine!
as for your rowing experience;all in a days work you see!!
and it was rather a exciting break from the daily routine right? = D
sophia just looks positively angelic in that photo....i really cant comprehend how you produced such perfect looking child!! hahahahhahaha!
till then..... God Bless

Anonymous said...

i am so glad you didnt die of a panic attack.
i certainly would have!!