Friday, June 16, 2006

This Side of the Andes

To My Most Amiable Readers,

I have tried unsuccessfully many times to post pictures; I'm not quite certain why they aren't uploading, but alas, the woes of the modern age...

Sophia is currently learning her letters; we do "school" for about a half hour each morning while Edison is snoozing. We're up to "E" now. It's eye-opening when you teach, because you go into it with all your education and experience behind you; which makes it easy to forget that you had to be taught to write from left to right, to develop fine motor skills, and to space letters apart. I'm no expert at teaching, so my methods are a little comical (an "A" is up the mountain, down the mountain, cross the mountain; a "B" is down the mountain, hop, hop; "C" is a circle but not; "D" is down the mountain, one big belly and so on). We have fun.

Edison is getting longer and leaner as he crawls quickly all over the house. I call him a little cat...he loves to burrow his little face into pillows to sleep, is very cuddly, and is most content to be warmly wrapped in someone's arms, his ample cheek resting on someone's shoulder (preferably feminine). I find his one-year birthday arriving with a bit of a shock; where did that year go?? But...then I remember all the loads of diapers I've washed and memory returns : ).

Dustin has been busy out at the island getting the bathroom out there finished, trying to get that project wrapped up so our coworkers can have showers, and eventually even windows!! Funny how poverty changes one's perception of luxury. It's funny how happy I feel when I go into someone's home that is well-heated...such a treat! Dustin also has been making trips to the islands and soon to the mountains; me and the kids staying home for now while the weather is particularly harsh. Soon I hope to go again, but I wait on His timing.

I've been busy with rowing and along with that weight training and running. I feel strong and healthy from the exercise, and spiritually renewed by the opportunities I have of sharing God's love with the youth as I get to know them better.

If you'd like to lift us up in prayer, here are a few requests: continued improvement in language comprehension, servant's hearts as we go about our work, wisdom from God as we make decisions, and guidance as we are soon writing up our "Core Values" as a mission team here in Chile. Thank you, God go with you!

Your Devoted,
Sarah

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Devoted Sister Sarah-We never know why we feel the way we do and we may never know why we dream the things we do. God, however, is using you and preparing you for something so great and so wonderful. He is tending to your heart and mind beyond your comprehension. The feelings you have of wanting to swim forever or fly or just truly enjoy this life, the dreams God grants you, the passion for His people; all of these things are in preparation. I truly believe that. What our Father does is not understandable to us...think of all those in the Old Testament, and even the new, who were given abilities to interpret dreams, run entire cities, heal the sick , change the world, or even just change themselves. Do you think they just knew it came from God? Don't you think it's even possible that they felt uncomfortable, ashamed, afraid, awed by all that they were able to accomplish. I don't think they understood the impact a few dreams would have on future. They may not have even thought twice to wonder why God gave them any abilities at all...we don't really know. But that's the glory of it; God has given us the opportunity to wonder, glorify, and even question the authenticity of the experiences of these people...we know the jist of the story, but we don't know the exact details. Sarah, you are just a pawn in this great big world...God will move you in ways you may question and fear or in ways that you will be thrilled by and exhault over. God gave you a truly wonderful, sensitive, questioning heart and nature. Reading your blogs today gave me such insight into you and who you are and where you are on this wonderful journey of life and eternity. Your dreams, your questions, your delights, they all turn you toward the One who created you and all the things you hold dear-nature, family, friends-never fear the question; if you do, you may never find the answer. Take care my devoted sister! Love, Shonda

Kristy said...

I had a stinking hard time posting pictures too, until I downloaded a program called Picasa from Google. It lets you post pictures directly to your blog. If you go to my blog, next to most of my pictures there is a little symbol from Picasa. I recommend it. I am glad things are well with you and the fam.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas for teaching how to write letters. Wyatt will only learn them if I get creative with it. Like the H for Hess is a bridge. But Thanks for the ideas for the other ones. I was running out of them. He LOVES mountains so that will be perfect. Praying for you. Hopefully soon baby Hess will be here.
Alicia<><

Anonymous said...

Great ideas for teaching how to write letters. Wyatt will only learn them if I get creative with it. Like the H for Hess is a bridge. But Thanks for the ideas for the other ones. I was running out of them. He LOVES mountains so that will be perfect. Praying for you. Hopefully soon baby Hess will be here.
Alicia<><

Anonymous said...

I am so not patient enough. I clicked 2 times on it because I thought it didn't go through. Sorry for the 2 comments that are the same. Remember patience in a good thing:)
Alicia<><

solnechko said...

Hi! I followed your link from a post you put on my friend's blog... I appreciated your "voice" in your writing; for some reason, you reminded me of... me! It sounds like you are on an adventure in Chile - May the Lord do a complete work through your family there, and may you be completely willing to let Him!

Shona